I’m a Mechanic?!

// November 22nd, 2008 // Blog

Whilst a budding Biology undergraduate, I wasted many an afternoon in the computer room, filling out pointless online personality tests, such as: “Which Icecream Flavour Are You?”. I think I was Raspberry Ripple – whatever that means. Or is that my favourite flavour? I forget.

Thus I was quite keen to visit a site I just discovered via Marahm's blog, called Typelyzer, which – simply put – is a personality quiz that requires you to answer just one question:

What's your blog address?

Obviously, it's a service that is only open to the blogging 'elite' (all several million of us).

This is what it had to say about moi:

ISTP – The Mechanics

The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment [and] are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.

The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like [to] seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.

Analysis

This show what parts of the brain that were dominant during writing.

I would never, ever, EVER have imagined that I would ever be described as a mechanic! Seriously, I am just not logical or pragmatic enough, in my opinion.

But… perhaps this opinion is somewhat outdated? Maybe the work I have engaged in recently – as well as enduring a four year, lab-based PhD project – has moulded me into someone new?

An interesting idea.

Unfortunately, none of my present friends (online or offline) have known me for long enough to validate this hypothesis – and my parents are too close to notice such a change – so it's all unproven theory for now.

I knew there was a reason that I loved doing these tests!

19 Responses to “I’m a Mechanic?!”

Does anyone remember E-mode? I am sure it was a personality test website, hugely popular back in the early naughties… Or was it a figment of my youthful imagination?!

2. Umm Travis says:

i remember :)

and btw

mine says:
    The Performers

The entertaining and friendly type. They are especially attuned to pleasure and beauty and like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells. They live in the present moment and don´t like to plan ahead – they are always in risk of exhausting themselves.

neat! thanx!

3. Shahrzad says:

Interesting. I came to be doer in my Shahrazad blog. I could’t think my blog would be that.
    On the other hand, my Persian blog came to be “thinker”. I used to write there for about seven years. Then now since i’ve had my english blog, i have less time to update my persian one.

It seems from just a thinker, i turned to become a doer? That’s good! :P

4. BrownS says:

Hmm .. I don’t know about the efficacy of this test. Your blog barely scores on spirituality and feeling?!

5. misspecs says:

ISFP – The Artists
    [ISFP]
    The gentle and compassionate type. They are especially attuned their inner values and what other people need. They are not friends of many words and tend to take the worries of the world on their shoulders. They tend to follow the path of least resistance and have to look out not to be taken advantage of.

They often prefer working quietly, behind the scene as a part of a team. They tend to value their friends and family above what they do for a living.

This is so not me! :)

Mine is high on spirituality etc. My triangle of thinking falls exactly between S and F.

Wanna exchange? :)

6. shaz says:

wow, this was amazingly accurate i think.

i got performer (i knew there was a reason i got along so well with organica! lol) but any personality test i’ve ever done left me with that same personality type – ESFP! :)

ESFP – The Performers
    [ESFP]

I seem to have a lot of Performers reading my blog… maybe you could band together and go on the road – entertain me! haha

Shah and Specs are the exceptions so far.

Umm Travis: I am so glad you remember too! I can’t find the site and I thought I was losing it!

Shah: you have gone from studying (i.e., thinker) to teaching (i.e., doer)… so it kinda makes sense?

BrownS: hmm… well, I guess I don’t write spiritual stuff on a regular basis, so I think it is an accurate assessment of my writing style so far. Allahu ‘alam.

Specs: I think I quite like being a Mechanic… plus I don’t fit the Artist description at all!

Organica: Me know! hehe

they are always in risk of exhausting themselves

This is sooooo you, Shaz!

8. Marahm says:

This is the first time I’ve heard of ISTP’s described as mechanics!

Seriously, though, you’re a biology major, followed by a lab-based PhD? This definitely points to the left-brained, thinking type, as is evident from the diagram.

9. mummyjaan says:

This is weird. Looks like I’m a ‘performer’ according to this test. Which I am not, btw :). I might be friendly and like to surround myself with sweet smells (who likes to surround themselves with bad smells, huh?), but there’s no way anyone could ever call me ‘entertaining’.

The second paragraph of the analysis is amazingly true of me, though:

“The enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation – qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions. “

10. Yusuf Smith says:

As-Salaamu ‘alaikum,

It ‘diagnosed’ me as a “doer”:

The Doers are happiest with action-filled work which craves their full attention and focus. They might be very impulsive and more keen on starting something new than following it through. They might have a problem with sitting still or remaining inactive for any period of time.

Actually, these last two sentences really do describe me.

Have you tried the gender analyser yet?

Marahm… Well, I guess I don’t know myself very well then!

mummyjaan: mmmm, bad smells… yum yum. Yeah, not quite!

Yusuf: wa ‘alaykum salam wa rahmatullah. I just tried it, and it says the writer of this blog is most likely MALE (78%)! No wonder people keep thinking I’m a guy – online, I mean… I think the hijab gives it away offline, hehe.

I got the same Mechanics result using Irrelevant Opinions, and my little brain chart there looked almost exactly the same. The results seem to be using the Myers-Brigg personality indicators, which I’ve generally found to be quite accurate generally but I don’t think ISTP is accurate for me. INFJ, which is my result when doing a proper MB test, is extremely accurate for me.

I remember you (Faraz) sent me a link to an MB test, and I scored ENFJ.

Comparing the profiles of ENFJ to ISTP, I do feel that I fall more in the former category than the latter, as a whole person – as opposed to the mere snapshot that my writing reveals.

But my emotional side is not so well represented on my blog – a combination of password protection, post deletions, and just not being keen to expose my emotional baggage to the world!

I cheated and used MM :D

ISTJ – The Duty Fulfillers
    The responsible and hardworking type. They are especially attuned to the details of life and are careful about getting the facts right. Conservative by nature they are often reluctant to take any risks whatsoever.

The Duty Fulfillers are happy to be let alone and to be able to work int heir own pace. They know what they have to do and how to do it.

As for MMM (my old blog… Musings of a Muslim Mouse):
    ISFP – The Artists

Interesting, but not entirely accurate either – I’m often told that I’m heartless (!!!), use waaaaaaaaaayyyy too many words…

15. hfm says:

I’m a mechanic too!
    Wow.
    Strange but I didn’t think I would be either.
    Think I’m going to do a blogpost like yours.
    Credit to you, ofcourse!
    :]

16. Kirah says:

i’m the Artists=> thats so me

hfm… great minds think alike. {wink}

Kirah: the header image of your blog tells me that much… :)

18. […] need to catch-up on my commenting to show my love for bloggers! The blog is called iMuslim, and the post which I have picked up to highlight is about your personality based on your blog and writing style […]