My Mac Family: The New Addition

// August 1st, 2008 // Photos

It's a new MacBook, alhamdulillah! Well, new-ish… I bought it second hand, but it's less than a year old, māshā’Allāh.

My New Mac Family

My New Mac Family

From right to left (also from oldest to newest): My faithful iMac G4 (aka the “iLamp”); my 'foster' iBook (soon to be wiped and returned to its true family: my old research lab); my iPod Touch (the 'baby' of the family); and finally: my funky MacBook (the black sheep of the family – badoom tish. Hang on, the Touch is also black. Oh pants!).

I am donating the iMac to my father, as he still doesn't have his own computer after all these years. Though I will still probably use it from time to time, as I am sure to miss that bootiful 17″ flatscreen!

Btw, if I haven't said it before… I needs a job! This recent purchase has put a serious dent in my already weakened finances. I haven't been earning for over 1.5 years now. A new record, since I received my first pay packet back at the tender age of 17… sniffle.

Muslim Aid are taking on paid helpers during the Ramadan period, but I'm wondering whether I will be able to work full time while I'm fasting. I was quite looking forward to a super-chilled fasting month, inshā’Allāh. At the same time, it would be nice to have something to distract me from the extra hours of daylight without food or water. And I will have time to recuperate from 5.30pm till Maghrib… so maybe it's worth a shot? Working five days a week, for four weeks will earn me enough to pay off my MacBook, inshā’Allāh, so I am seriously tempted. What do you think?

12 Responses to “My Mac Family: The New Addition”

Whoa, looks like ET :p

2. tabman says:

could you please explain what is the point of saying Alhamdullilah and Mashallah in the following line, I don’t really get it:

“It’s a new MacBook, alhamdulillah! Well, new-ish… I bought it second hand, but it’s less than a year old, masha’Allah:

well get married someone would be happy to pay off your debt :P

3. Anonymous says:

I think you should be paid for blogging, Doctor. Love reading them, mashaAllah. :)

4. Dr.iMuslim, I get it you are a apple fan mashAllah but aren’t you taking this a little bit too far?

5. Muneeb says:

what the heck? I am a friggin computer engineer and I can do with only one laptop and you need three computers to make you tick? :P

Haha, maybe I should explain a little more so you guys don’t think I am totally mad on Apple (or just totally mad, full stop!).

I bought the iMac in 2002… It’s a wonderful workhorse of a computer, masha’Allah. I have had no problems with it whatsoever since the day it graced us with its presence (thank you Allah!). [Btw, tabman, my use of ‘masha’Allah etc in this context is cos I don’t want that fact to change! Plus truely all praise and good is due to Allah alone…]

The only problem is that it is not fast enough to cope with certain modern day requests I throw at it. It is absolutely fine for e-mails, net surfing, and publishing (I wrote my thesis on it, after all). But I definitely needed a faster machine for the other things I plan to attempt in the near future, insha’Allah. That’s why it is going to my father, cos he is an absolute computer beginner, and he won’t use it for much more than net stuff and writing the odd letter of complaint, hehe.

The iBook is not mine. It was a loan to me from my work place for use during my studies from 2004 to the present day. In fact, 90% of the time it lived in the office. I was actually planning to purchase it from my lab, rather than buying a new computer, but all the silly university bureaucracy prevented that. So I will have to return it asap.

So that’s where the new Macbook steps in. It will serve as my main computer, insha’Allah, and has the added bonus of being portable (its much lighter than the iBook!), which will be handy when/if I go travelling.

So, in reality, from next week, I will personally only have one MacBook and the iPod. The iMac will be in my father’s room, and the iBook will have been returned!

Anonymous – yeah, totally! I would love to be paid for writing about my odd personality traits, including my Mac obsession, haha. Jazakallah khair.

8. Organica says:

Mabrook! You are Mac crazy :)

Still love you though.

9. Marahm says:

I am surprised that your readers have reacted in an almost disapproving way to your three computers, even if one is not really yours. I see nothing excessive about having more than one computer, especially if you do lots of on-line work, or composition of different sorts.

Personally, I have two laptops. They are nearly identical, but they serve different purposes, and function as a semi- back up for one another. My people think I am crazy, too, but last month one of my hard drives failed, and I had to send the computer to another state. I was without it for two weeks. That would have been a terrible deprivation, had I not possessed its counterpart.

You are wise to have more than one computer.

10. misspecs says:

Whoa, nice to see your ‘family’ iMama. :p

They’re all very cute. Baby takes after you? I’ve been tld mine looks as ‘strict’ as i do, lol, so now i check everyone’s iPods with them! :D

Hey, if they’re offering the job, take it on. Ramadan always seems more trying from this side of the divide (i.e pre-Ramadan). Its going to be a welcome distraction from the thirst and hunger too. Believe me, it works for me. I, who used to be UNABLE to get up from bed for at least 45 minutes after Iftar had to attend University sessions last time and i used to have a quick Iftar and then, after Isha, i had dinner and collapsed. :p But i LOVED it b/c i didn’t have to worry about breakfast, lunch, water bottle, etc. :)

I’m sorely tempted to add a Brit ‘innit’ after this lecture. Oh wait, i just did. :)

LOL

11. tabman says:

An Apple a day keeps Windows away :)

I love it!
    Mabrook on your new baby – may Allah grant it long and beneficial life and make it a source of ajr for you, ameen ;)

It makes sense to have so many computers… in my house, we currently have 4 (none of them are Macs!). One PC for my brothers to use (those silly games they download and such), one Dell laptop (my father’s), one Acer laptop (the “family” computer, tho’ mostly my mum uses it for listening to lectures and surfing the ‘Net on), and my Lenovo laptop (also not really mine, it’s on loan from the school to do my online coursework and homework).
    I’m going to have give it back when I grad, which is sure to send me spiralling into depression because I’m so attached to it! I don’t have enough to buy myself my own laptop either; and anyway I wonder if it’d be worth it ‘cuz I don’t want it to be outdated, nor do I want to risk leaving it here should I end up overseas insha’Allah. *Sighs* Ah well, I’ll enjoy it while I have it… maybe I can convince Mr. Mouse to get me – ahem, us – one, because what household is complete without a computer?!