Party Games for Muslims?

// April 1st, 2008 // Blog

I'm planning to throw a girls-only shindig this weekend at my place, inshā’Allāh. I've ordered the food (including some lovely cream cakes – yum!), and even bought my first sari today, especially for the occasion – yey! Good thing I'll be indoors, else I'd worry about how to walk in my new outfit with heels on (when I asked my mum if I could wear a sari, she said: “Do you think you can handle it?!”).

Anyway, I realized that other than eating and chatting (hopefully not at the same time – how rude), I'm not really sure what else we could get up to… It's been a LONG time since my last “party”, so I am wondering if any of you folks out there in blogland can give me some ideas that don't involve alcohol or music?

Somehow, I don't think anyone will really be up for “nasheed chairs”!

[Photo by jek in the box]

20 Responses to “Party Games for Muslims?”

1. I say some innocent music won’t bother anyone. Dancing always makes the party live and fun.

2. Shan says:

I like board games, but some people thinks that’s lame and nerdy. Pictionary is a good party game though (even though my favourite game is Scrabble). Cranium is quite popular as well. Taboo is a good game that actually challenges a person to think laterally and articulate (in a way, it’s Verbal Pictionary, though Dictionary sounds less exciting than Taboo). I’m not really sure what girls particularly like, anything I say would sound like some kind of stereotype. The board game market overall is wide and varied, so if you’d be interested in buying a new board game, it’s worth a look at any games store to see what they have that’s new and innovative.

I’ve been thinking for some time about throwing a party someday (probably inviting both non-Muslims and Muslims) and how I would make it fun for everyone by any measure while keeping it halal (haram stuff sucks anyway).

3. mayG says:

yeah I agree with shan.. board games are a whole lot of fun.. so many good memories came flooding by thinking of taboo and pictionary :D

4. Shahrzad says:

I would use music and dance too. It will be very fun. :D Indian Sari. Difficult to wrap it. :P

5. mummyjaan says:

Aaah, ‘my first sari’ – brings a smile to my face. My first ‘official’ sari was on the farewell party we were given at school, before we left for college. (The unofficial ‘firsts’ were at the tween stage when girl cousins got together over the holidays and tried on Mum’s saris).

I’m sure you’ll carry yourself well. Use lots of (cleverly hidden) safety pins and, if you like, a matching brooch.

I don’t know what idea to suggest; is all music out-of-bounds? If you’re meeting friends after a long time, all the time you have may not be enough for ‘chatting’ :)!

aawww i so want to come! i wish i lived down south now!
    what’s wrong with nasheed chairs, it sounds fun!
    at the last party i went to, they played this game in tems where you were given a list of words, and you had to say words associated with it (basically anything but the word itself) and your team mates had to guess as many words as possible in one minute. i played it with my students at the easter party and they liked it. also, pictionary and charades. apparently, even teenagers like to be little kids just for a while!
    use brroches or safety pins on your sari to hold it in place xx

Re: Music… I am in the “hmm, not sure” camp of whether I want to purposefully listen to it or not… I’ll avoid the use of words such as “halal” and “haraam”. At best, it seems to be a matter of doubt, so I’m doing my best to avoid it (though I am exposed to it regularly whilst watching TV so… yeah).
    Besides, I know some of the sisters coming along won’t feel so comfortable with music, plus I don’t actually have any CDs… not even nasheeds! haha

Re: Board games… is that a practical solution when you have 20+ people in the room? Unless there are “team” games, of course.
    There will be both Muslims and non-Muslims at my house, insha’Allah. Most of the non-Muslims will be work colleagues, but also a friend from my uni days. :)

Re: Saris… I’ll have my mum’s help, insha’Allah, though it’s been a while for her too, hehe. Thanks for the brooch tip! I may have to buy one that matches.

8. Shan says:

Pictionary can work well with 20+ players. I have done it before. You just need to have a good plan of how to run it. I used 3 whiteboards and 3 teams, usually artists from each team (encourage all team members to take turns drawing) would draw simultaneously. Sometimes each artist would have a different clue, sometimes they’d all be drawing the same thing. Sometimes a right answer would give a team an exclusive opportunity to draw/guess. You make up the rules the way that makes for the most fun and convenience. I recommend getting someone to help you, but I have done it on my own. If you have more whiteboards, you could go for 4 teams. I bought the whiteboards inexpensively at a hardware store (it’s just melamine cardboard with a white surface).

Play charades! Always fun, especially when it involves embarrassing yourself in front of twenty other people :D
    Random trivia is all right… you could always buy one of those super-difficult puzzles too, if you think it’s suitable… or summat like that.

You’ll look smashing in your sari, I’m sure! I’ve never had one, and highly doubt I could last more than 2 minutes in one anyway – my clumsiness is legendary!

I’m gonna add another recommendation for Pictionary. It works well with large groups, and opens the door for a lot of untapped creativity.

We also have silly “icebreaker” games at work events sometimes, mainly useful for when not everyone knows each other. Things like listing two truths about oneself and one lie; the others have to guess which one is the lie. Hilarity ensues.

There were some silly games one teacher in school used to have us playing that I used at my birthday party when I turned 11… don’t remember how they worked exactly, but they were a lot of fun for the 15 or so friends that showed up that sunny spring day in 1992!

11. Shan says:

Oh Faraz bhai, I like the game you play where you type 2 useful paragraphs and 1 useless paragraph and we have to guess which paragraph is the useless one. I know! I know!

hahahahahahahaha…

*breathe*

Hahahahahahahaha…!

That was tooooooooooooo funny, Shan! :lol:

*wipes away tear*

“Getting to know/how well do you know each other” games are good fun.

Aside from that get a Twister mat hahahaa

Musical chairs never hurt anybody – just get a human beatbox :p

15. (Oh! Once I was invited to a party where a sister started lecturing about heavy Islamic topics and such–a great way to ruin your party!

Perhaps it’s time to admit that I’ve never, ever played Pictionary… ever.

Is that bad?

17. Anjum says:

The 2 truths/1 lie game is pretty fun – I’ve played it in a corporate setting and despite the natural censorship one shows around coworkers, it was still good! ;) so in a social party, it should be very fun.

18. mcpagal says:

I was going to suggest Twister too… depends on the people and the party though, sounds like yours is going to be a little more elegant than that!

It’d be cool if you could scaj a Wii off someone though, it’s loads of fun and a pretty good icebreaker! We had a sisters wii tournament in our isoc as a kind of fundraiser thing, it was brill :P. Pictionary and charades sound cool too

Hope it all goes well inshAllah! x

19. Peace says:

If i”m not too late :D there are many things you can do to have fun..every lady loves a facial and hair make-over every once and a while. Maybe you can have a makeup and hair do make-over? game boards and charades are also lots of fun. 21 questions with prizes at the end :D Hope your party is a success!!!

Peace