Word of the Day

// May 23rd, 2007 // Blog

Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 23, 2007

redolent \RED-uh-luhnt\, adjective:

1. Having or exuding fragrance; scented; aromatic.
2. Full of fragrance; odorous; smelling (usually used with 'of' or 'with').
3. Serving to bring to mind; evocative; suggestive; reminiscent (usually used with 'of' or 'with').

I am really liking this word, and i thought that i would share this random thought with you all. It's such a beautiful word, don't you think? In both sound and meaning. It kinda makes me happy! Strange me.

Has anyone noticed my Dictionary.com Word of the Day RSS widget in the side-bar? I have been subscribed to their e-mail service for years, yet i'm not certain that i have learnt one single word in all that time! I do read the e-mails, but unless you make sure to use a new word on a regular basis, it won't be stored in your memory. Words are like men – they have commitment issues! *badoom tish*

Another word that i liked recently, but one that is not so nice in sound or meaning:

Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 2, 2007

termagant \TUR-muh-guhnt\, noun:

1. A scolding, nagging, bad-tempered woman; a shrew.
2. Overbearing; shrewish; scolding.

Don't ask why i kept this e-mail… i just can't seem to delete it! I think it's like a small reminder to myself: do not become such a person. No idea. Maybe i'm looking for some cool put downs: how to insult people without them realising it. Evil genius me.

20 Responses to “Word of the Day”

word a day hhmm i’m tempted to call you a geek, mainly because you called all bloggers a geek a few posts back, but your blog is currently my favourite, so don’t want to to insult you too–oo mcuh.

redolent is a nice word. i’m not so sure about termagant. aren’t there enough words out there to insult women. is there a similar word to describe men? i know a few that like to nag. i like sycophant at the moment (someone who sucks up) i think i’m a bit of sycophant. i like you imuslim:)

ooh i also like predilection- when you like someone a lot.
    so, i could say i have a predilection for imuslim. am i freaking you out yet? hey at least i didn’t doodle your name all over the place like unique!

I subscribe to the Word of the Day thing, and we also keep a “Word of the Day” on our whiteboard at work. Though we don’t update it every day … we’ve had the word “paucity” on there for almost a week now.

I’m a big fan of obscure, cumbersome words. Redolent is good; I hope I don’t need to use termagant anytime soon. I wonder if there’s any meaning in that being my “birthday word”.

I like the word “termagant”. It described me to a tee :p

I subscribed to Word A Day via email and love it! I’ve picked up a few words here/there, have yet to utilise them in something ;)

oops i’d liketo retract my implication that Word a Day is geeky, don’t want to insult anyone else!
    i like to pick up new vocabulary naturally, for example if a word comes up in something i’m reading, i’ll look it up. that way, you’re more likey to remember it and use it in the right context anway. Word a Day can be dangerous in the wrong hands. some of my students are obsessed with reading dictionaries. they have admitted to reading pages before going to bed. bizzare. i’d much prefer for them to read a good book or something.

hema-da-dreamer-who-seema-to-lika-me-too-much: You’re funny. A funny geek. Just accept it. I have. I am geek & proud, baby, woooohooooo! Hmmm…too geeky?
    The Dictionary was a book, last time i checked. Though i have never known anyone to read one. Actually, when i was lickle, my dad suggested that go through the dictionary, learning five new words everyday. Yeah right, dad!

Faraz: I wonder if there’s any meaning in that being my “birthday word”.
    It’s a sign… wooOOooOooo. Oh, wait. There are no such thing as omens. Phew!

Sumi: You really are scaring me, these days! What i like best about the Dictionary.com WotD e-mails is that they also give the word origins. I love knowing the roots of words. Although most of the time it’s Greek/Latin, there can be some strange and funky alternatives too. :)

Insulting people without them realising, a woman after my own heart. Next time i am on the bus and a stinker sits next to me i can turn to them and say with a sweet smile, “My, your very redolent today”. Much kinder than the usual tact of subtly sitting there with my hand over my nose and turning blue because i don’t want to breath in.

Lucy: Uck, don’t remind me about smelly people on public transport! I just don’t want to think about what is ingrained into the fabric of tube/bus seats. Last week, there were of couple of chavs who were allowing their smelly dogs to put their grubby paws all over the seats. It’s enough to make me carry plastic sheets around with me… i don’t know what i’m sitting on!!!! {turns green}

Oh, and wrt word origins… i actually forgot to read about the root of the word, termagant. I was kinda freaked out by it.. check it:

Termagant comes from Middle English Termagaunt, alteration of Tervagant, from Old French. Termagant was an imaginary Muslim deity represented in medieval morality plays as extremely violent and turbulent. By the sixteenth century, termagant was used for a boisterous, brawling, turbulent person of either sex, but eventually it came to refer only to women.

Imaginary Muslim deity??? I then found this on Wikipedia. I do believe that ye Olde English persons were quite mad. :)

Ooh I like the Shakespeare reference “that hot termagant Scot” :D

10. mcpagal says:

I thought a termagant was a type of bird for some reason… hmmm. Maybe I was thinking of a ptarmigan.

Also, I always have this thing that I know what a word means in context, but when it comes to explaining/pronouncing it, I’m like ‘whut?’. Maybe I should use your word-a-day thing!

Sumera: Is that going to be your new tag-line? :)

McP: I had to look up ptarmigan, just to figure out how it’s pronounced.
    Wrt the context thing, i’m the exact same, which can very annoying for my colleagues, who keep using me like a walking dictionary… i’m really not qualified!

12. Alefyah says:

Wow thanks! I learnt two new and interesting words. I am sure to use them like you..hehe..the termagant won’t even realise ;)

McPagal, I think you meant cormorant? (Or not… :S)

I like big words too… just don’t use them that often! Although, my friends keep asking me to rephrase what I say because they say I use too big words… hmmmm, either I’m really smart, or my friends are really… not smart! :P

Alefyah: Naughty, naughty. I’m a bad influence! :)

Mouse: No, ptarmigan is a bird word (according to the Dictionary). I don’t use too many big words either, but sometimes i end up using scientific/technical words rather than ‘normal’ words… so for example, instead of saying, “I’ll blend the tomatoes”, i end up saying, “I’ll homogenize the tomatoes”. Mixing/shaking becomes ‘vortexing’… hmm, can’t think of anything else right now. :)

15. Unique Muslimah says:

lol@bodoom tish

I’d love for it to be my tagline – but think it may be misinterpreted :p

Unique: Was it the lame man joke you found funny, or the sound effects? :)

Sumera: hmmm… maybe you can keep for use behind closed doors, after you’re married? haha :D

Lol. No comment ;)

19. Bruce Cain says:

I know many will not like this solution. But in the US, this is what I think we need — until the American working class is back on its feet:

NO MORE IMMIGRATION: LEGAL OR ILLEGAL

I think all countries need to start reducing their populations and finding methods to live sustainably with as little dependancy on external governments. Solving the problem of photosynthesis would solve 2 problems: (1) individual self sufficiency; (2) no more funding to Islamic Fundamentalists.

I’m really not trying to be termagant. I’m just trying to be pragmatic and find a solution that serves all peoples in the long run.

Yours in Freedom,

Bruce W. Cain

*scratches head*

Is this spam?

The reasons that cause me to be suspicious, are:
    1) the random and incorrect use of the word “photosynthesis“.
    2) the use of the noun ‘termagant’ as an adjective.
    3) oh yeah, and the complete irrelevance of the comment to the subject matter of the entry.

*shrugs*

Thanks for your comment, anyway, Bruce. Good luck with the whole freedom thing.