Green Smoothies

Tags | ,

// April 13th, 2007 // Blog

Continuing with the theme of beauty, i now share with you, my beauteous readers, a great method for improving your looks, and overall health.

Guys, don't switch off just yet; you may think that looking good is a girly-girl issue, but i am quite sure your present/ future wives will appreciate any small effort you make to look buff!

I heard about green smoothies a while ago, on a women's forum. It was suggested as a great tip to improve skin health – zapping those nasty spots from the inside. It is also a brilliant way to get your '5 a day' fruit rations. I'm really lazy [i could put a full stop here] when it comes to eating fruit, veg, and most other things healthy, so i was quite keen to try it out.

The idea is to blend fruits and greens (such as spinach, lettuce, parsley; basically any green leaf), in a 60:40 ratio to make a smoothie. Apparently, the goodies in green leaves are very good for our health, but because they tend to taste bitter, we don't get nearly enough in our diet. The fruit in the smoothie completely masks the bitterness of the greens – if it wasn't for the colour, you'd never know they were there!

Recipe

From my experience, the following makes about 7-800 ml of smoothie. That's quite a bit, so you may want to refrigerate what you can't drink, and save it for later. I've heard that left-overs are good for one day.

This is the combination i ended up with, though you're free to choose whatever fruits you like/ are available. Feel free to mess around with the amounts, and ratios.

-One small apple
-One small pear
-One small peach/ other fruit
-One small banana/ half a regular-sized banana (i found this to be important to get a nice smooth consistency)
-A large handful of washed spinach*
-A large handful of washed parsley*
-One mug of pure orange juice**

* I highly recommend spinach because it is a superb source of iron. So is parsley, apparently, and it smells great too. Most adult women tend to be anemic, for obvious reasons (well, obvious to women).

** You can use water instead, but i ended up using orange juice to increase the bio-availability of the iron from the spinach. Basically, the form of iron found naturally in veggies isn't taken up very efficiently by the gut. The ascorbic acid (Vit C) from the juice, converts this iron into the more absorbable form, so allowing you to make the most of the spinachy goodness!

I used to take the smoothie with a large spoonful of linseed oil (a.k.a. flaxseed oil). This stuff tastes NASTY – but is very good for you, (omega-3s and what-nots). The oil also helps to absorb some of the fat-soluble goodies from the smoothie. My tip is to hold the spoon of oil in one hand, and a glass of juice (i chose pineapple) in the other. After placing the spoon's contents in your gob, immediately take a large gulp of juice… this usually counteracts the yuckiness, quite effectively.

I haven't made a green smoothie for a while, but when i was into them, i found that they did actually work. After a few weeks, my skin looked great, māshā’Allāh, as did my hair, and my blood iron levels were at the highest that they had been for a very long time. It just takes a little bit of effort to put it all together, but the results are worth it, inshā’Allāh. I'm thinking of starting them again, very soon, inshā’Allāh… i just need to get my lazy bum into gear!

Let me know if you try it – maybe we can start a Green Smoothie Bloggers Club?!

*iMuslim's streed cred enters the minus figures*

16 Responses to “Green Smoothies”

1. The most important question for me is: how does it taste? *Unique is very fussy*

2. Do I have to pinch my nose and gulp it all down at once like you do when you have to take nasty medicine?

I recently went on a majorly green stretch, for around a month. I would go do groceries, and skip all the cookies and chips (what you call “crisps” in UK; what you call “chips”, we call “fries”), and just head for the vegetables and packaged salads. I don’t have access to halal meat when I’m travelling, so I was just eating salads and pastas for the longest time. I actually felt great doing so, but I’ve gone back to keeping at least some junk food in my place, and cooking slightly less healthy dinners.

I could definitely use more fruit though. My former roommate used to make great smoothies, and we used to always bring people over to partake in them. Good times.

What I find especially interesting about this is your explanation as to how the Vitamin C helps us absorb the iron better. That’s an interesting tip.

And isn’t it great training for the nafs how Allah has put so much benefit in that which doesn’t taste good? And the things that please our nafs (my weakness was ice cream, but I’ve reduced that to once a month or so) are generally not good for you? That’s a sign in itself, I think, though fruits are a good compromise between taste and healthiness.

4. organicmuslimah says:

LOL. I am trying it after the semester is over inshAllah. And I am totally posting a picture of me drinking it.

I am with Unique.

Salaams peeps

Unique: It tastes of fruit, my dear; that’s the point! The fruit masks any bitterness found in the greens, so making it palatable (very tasty, actually). Only the green colour may put you off, but don’t let it deceive you. Actually, cos i use so much OJ, the whole thing mainly tastes of oranges. Sometimes i taste the other fruit as well… it depends on how ripe the ingredients are.

Faraz: Chips are not fries… we have fries too. They’re thin and crispy. Chips are fat, squidgy, and totally beat measly fries, hands down!
    Anyway… your comment about the nafs is very true. It reflects the ayah: Fighting is prescribed for you, and you dislike it. But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not. [2:216]
    I remember reading in a book – i think it was Medicine of the Prophet – that fruit is one of the four things that make one happy. I can’t remember the other three!

Organic: This smoothie goes well with your name! Can’t wait for the photo. :)

6. shaz says:

sounds yum! (minus the peach, cuz we ain’t to friendly)
    I could really use that right now!! :) I knew that spinach could fit in just about anything!

7. yusuf says:

Assalamualaikum

Thank you for the tips…but that sound like some hard work! haha. Sounds yummy though!

I say, just eat lot of onions (you gotta be Indian for that-but onion is good for everything except heartburn), drink little olive oil daily, and eat your fruits!

Shaz: You can use whatever fruit you do get on with. :)

Yusuf: You sound like my dad! Onions are a cure-all in his eyes. Yeah, a cure for everything ‘cept bad breath… haha. :D

I went through a fruit smoothie phase a few years ago. It didnt taste all that nice – must be all that refined sugar my taste buds have gotten used to – but it did work. I tend to eat a lot of greens anyhow, I even eat bitter gourd! So not completely averse to bitter/sour tastes.

I might take to the blender again now thanks to you :D

10. believer786 says:

Dear iMuslim,

I have to admit, I just skimmed my way through to the bottom hehe. But I totally agree with you, beauty is not just for women, but for men too. I have always believed in keeping myself looking good. I watch what I eat and I practically live at the gym. I frankly don’t worry what the wife looks like, I try to keep myself handsome for her nonetheless :).

Also, about the ipods…I had 4…sold 1 on ebay. I currently have a nano (4G) a regular ipod (80G) and an older ipod mini (6G). I don’t have any use for the 6G version. you want?

thanks for the tip, but i’m not sure i’m taking to the idea of a green drink. sometimes appearances do matter (but only sometimes)
    anyway, like Sumera, i love bitter gourd and spinach on its own (i acknowledge i’m strange) so i think i’m ok without the green smoothie for now.

water remains one of the best ways to look and feel great. especially hot water with lemon in the morning.
    and most importantly, it’s not green :)

As-salaamu ‘alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatu,

…Green. Green? Green!

I have a love/hate relationship with the colour green. I love wearing bright green socks. I have a very big, very baggy, very old formerly-neon-green-now-a-very-dirty-green sweater with which I refuse to part despite missing buttons, loose threads, and holes.

But I absolutely refuse to drink green smoothies.

About beauty for men – reminds me of the time my dad gave a halaqah on the importance of men ‘beautifying’ themselves for their wives… to which women in attendance responded with uncontrollable laughter, while the men sat their, stupefied and dumbfounded.
    Apparently they could not properly absorb that their bearded, thobe-d, ghutra-ed shaykh was telling them to go make themselves pretty for their wives. One man ended up accusing him of being a closet feminist – definitely one of the more interesting accusations leveled at my dad! :P

-Mouse

13. Yusuf says:

Assalamualaikum

AnonyMouse, thank you for cracking me up before my exam at 9:00 am, for which I am not prepared.

Sumera: I’m afraid my taste buds have been quite spoilt over the years too, which is why i’m not the biggest fan of fruit. I’ll eat it when i have to, rather than cos i want to. Bad me. :(

Believer: “I frankly don’t worry what the wife looks like, I try to keep myself handsome for her nonetheless
    That’s so sweet to read, mashallah! Listen up lads, and take notes, wud ya!
    Re: iPod… i’m thinking of eventually investing in the iPhone, which would have an iPod thrown in… so no ta, but jazakallah anywayz. :)

Hema: You’re right about good ol’ H2O… it’s the best, Alhamdulillah. However, don’t be mean about the green (smoothie)!

Mouse: You’re an odd girl… anyone tell you that? But we wuvs you anywayz. *pinches her cheeks*
    Your dad needs to take his own advice… i’m not sure i understand the feminist remark though!

Yusuf: Oh dear… i remember that awful feeling. I pray it went well, inshallah.

15. Yusuf says:

Assalamualaikum iMuslim,

Thanks for the Dua. And yes, despite all odds… I ‘Kicked Ass’ hehe. Alhamdullilah.

Btw, can I ask where abouts in UK you are? I may (dua requested) be in UK for couple of years to annoy you brits, inshaAllah.

Wa ‘alaykum salam wa rahmatullah

I’m really happy to hear that you kicked some exam butt, Alhamdulillah.

I’m in London. Will you be here for work, or studies, or both, or neither?